Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Why I don't follow everybody on #Twitter

As many of you know, I'm a bit of a Social Media Nut, & the reason is because I believe its the best invention of our time in terms of greater Gospel implications. You can listen to two of my talks on my most current thoughts on Social Media / Twitter / Facebook / Etc. here.

http://bit.ly/buzztalkarc

http://www.mediafire.com/?fhxtbapwy9qkpxp



One of the big questions I am often asked is,

"Why DON'T you follow everybody that follows you on twitter?" 

Here's my answer:

1. I don't think that's what the purpose of twitter is supposed to be about. Twitter is different than Facebook in that people can follow you, but you don't have to follow them. It's a bit of a selectivity thing for me, and if I follow everybody, then I lose that.

2. I am not interested in "padding my numbers." Some people follow everyone because then everyone will follow them. I don't feel compelled to do that. Could I have more Twitter followers if I did that? Sure, but who cares. For a very concise perspective check out this Seth Godin video.



3.  Twitter, for me, is like reading the newspaper and all my friends, mentors, and major influences of my life are in the headlines. Could I put people in a list? Sure, but I want to keep me twitter feed clean and simple.

4.  In order for people to be able to DM you, you have to follow them. If only they follow you, then you could DM them, but not the other way around. DM'ing in my mind is a layer of access that I want to reserve, (like a private e-mail account, etc.).

Just a thought, if you're not on Twitter, and have wondered what all the hype is about, @MichaelHyatt wrote a great article on it. View it here.

? What do you think? ? Do you follow everyone who follows you? Why / Why Not?

#AddingVALUE

@MatthewKeller


2 comments:

Alessandro Carlo Monte said...

I very much agree Pastor, tweeter allows us to basically do life with the people that interest us, that we can learn from, and share our heart with, I do not follow all the people that follows me, I delete many that add me that is just networking something I don't believe in it, and I am surely not follow by all of those I follow, which is fine, because if I follow someone it means I want to learn more about them, and I can use what they are writing about in my life. As usual I love your honesty and your heart, it is not how many people is following us, but how many we are reaching their heart, God bless and have a great week!

Alex.

Karen Zeigler said...

I couldn't agree more. Perhaps I'm a little more liberal in accepting friends. My policy is that if we have similar interests (personally) or it's a business I frequent (professionally) then I will follow them back. However there is a probationary periods of a few weeks. If I find they spam me or what they are tweeting about is of no interest or value then I am quick to unfollow. @karenzeigler

Post a Comment